Company Secretary CS
Role of Company secretary
Corporate Governance and Secretarial Services
Corporate Laws Advisory and Representation Services
Financial Market Services
Company Secretary in Employment
Companies with the paid up share capital of Rs.5 crore or more are compulsorily required to appoint a whole-time company secretary under section 383A of the Companies Act, 1956. All companies seeking listing on Stock Exchange are required to appoint a whole-time company secretary membership of the Institute is recognized for appointment to superior posts and services under Central Government.
Membership of the Institute is a recognized qualification for recruitment from Grade I to Grade IV in the Accounts branch of the Indian Company Law Service. Almost every kind of organization whose affairs are conducted by boards, councils or other association, federation, authority, commission or like, finds it useful to appoint a person who holds the qualification of the Company secretaries in Key administrative position.
Self Employment (practice)
After obtaining a Certificate of Practice from the Institute. Members of the Institute can go for Independent Practice. Every company having a paid-up share capital Rs. 10 lakh or more but less than Rs. 5crore, is required to engage the services of a secretary in Whole-time practice to obtain a compliance certificate. Pursuant to Clause 49 of the Listing Agreement, Practising Company Secretaries have been authorized to issue Certificate regarding compliance of conditions of Corporate Goverance as stipulated in the Clause. Practicing Company Secretaries have also been recognized to appear before various Tribunals such as Company Law Board, Securities Appellate Tribunal, Competition Commission, Telecom Dispute Settlement and Appellate Tribunal, Consumer Forums, Tax Tribunals etc.
Recently the Reserve Bank of India has recognized the Practising Company Secretaries to undertake Diligence Report for Banks. Company Secretary as an independent professional A company secretary in Practice is recognized to issue certificate and attest documents inter alia under:
Company Secretaries in Practice also render services in the following area:
Foundation Program which is of 8 months duration can be pursued by 10+2 pass or equivalent students of Arts, Science or Commerce stream (Excluding Fine Arts) Executive Program can be pursued by a Graduate of all streams except Fine Arts / CPT passed of ICAI/ Foundation Program passed of ICAI-CMA. Professional Program can be pursued only after clearing the Executive Program of CS Course.
ADMISSION TO THE CS COURSE is open throughout the year. Examinations are held twice a year in June & December. Students have to register online at www.icsi.edu
Cut off dates for admission to CS course:
For Foundation Program
1) 31st March for appearing in December Examination in the same year
2) 30th September for June Examination next year
For Executive Programme
1) 28th February for appearing in both modules in December Exams in the same year
2) 31st May for appearing in single module in December Examination in the same year
3) 31st August for appearing in both modules in June Exam in the next year
4) 30th November for appearing in single module in June Examination in the next year
SUBJECTS FOR CS COURSE
There are 4 papers in CS Foundation Programme
There are 7 papers divided into 2 Modules in CS Executive Programme (New Syllabus wef. 01.02.2013)
There are 9 papers divided into 3 Modules in CS Professional Programme
1) Business Environment & Entrepreneurship
2) Business Management, Ethics and Communication
3) Business Economics
4) Fundamentals of Accounting and Auditing
Executive Programme [7papers] Module I (4papers)
1) Company Law
2) Cost and Management Accounting
3) Economic and Commercial Laws
4) Tax Laws and Practice
1) Company Accounts and Auditing Practices
2) Capital Markets and Securities Laws
3) Industrial, Labour and General Laws
Professional Program ( new syllabus – w.e.f. 1st September 2013 )
1. Advanced Company Law and Practice
2. Secretarial Audit, Compliance Management and Due Diligence
3. Corporate Restructuring, Valuation and Insolvency
4. Information Technology and Systems Audit
5. Financial, Treasury and Forex Management
6. Ethics, Governance and Sustainability
7. Advanced Tax Laws and Practice
8. Drafting, Appearances and Pleadings
9. Electives 1 out of 5 subjects
9.4. Intellectual Property Rights – Law and Practice
Fee Structure for CS Course
1. Examination is conducted twice a year in June and December
2. Examination fee
3. Foundation Programme – Rs. 1200/-
Executive Programme – Rs. 1200/- per Module
Professional Programme -Rs. 1200/- per Module
Last date for submission of application for appearing in the examination
25th March (with late fee of Rs. 250/- till 9th April)
25th September (with late fee of Rs. 250/- till 10th October)
After qualifying the CS Professional Programme and on completion of training as provided under the CS Regulations, a candidate is enrolled as an Associate Member of the Institute and he can use the descriptive title “ACS” after his / her name.
Registration of students (Online at www.icsi.edu):
Online registration facility is available at Institute’s student portal www.icsi.edu Students are advised to follow the instructions carefully. The fee can be remitted through Debit/Credit Cards /Net Banking facility.
After filling the particulars, making the payment of fees and uploading the scanned copies of desired documents, the system gives the Registration Number instantly. On completion of registration as a student, the Registration Number will be intimated to the student through E-Mail and/or SMS. Students may also check the registration status at www.icsi.edu on the basis of Application Number, Mobile Number, E-mail Id, etc. Students can download the Registration Letter, Important Instructions, etc. through Institute’s website www.icsi.edu by entering the Registration Number received through E-Mail/SMS.
Steps for Online Registration:
1. Click the “ Online Services” button on top of the ICSI website (www.icsi.edu)
2. Go to the Students tab and click on “Student Registration”
3. Click onto the checklist of documents as applicable to students on the basis of their qualification,
4. Now Click on ‘Proceed to Registration’
5. Select the Course type as applicable viz. Foundation, Executive Programme etc.
6. Fill other fields.
7. Click on the option-‘Make Payment’ for effecting necessary payments. ( Payment is to be made either by credit/debit card /net banking or through bank challan system)
8. After making payment students shall get user name & password at their registered e-mail ID / or Mobile No. for uploading their documents. Username of the student is “Student’s Registration Number” which students get instantly after making payment.
9. Students are further required to upload scanned copies of the documents in support of their qualifications in specified file formats by login at their respective accounts at “My Account” option to get their registration process completed.
NOTE: Animated help to do online registration is also available on www.icsi.edu before student proceeds for online registration.
Before Proceeding to registration form please make sure that you are ready with the softcopy of the documents mentioned on this page.
1. Photograph of the candidate
2. Signature of the candidate
3. DOB Certificate (10th Pass Certificate)
4. Roll Number (if appearing)
5. Qualification Passed Certificate
6. Category Certificate